Skip to main content

Arsha Bharatha Avengers

Indians, countrymen! Lend me your attention. For I am here to show you how Marvel Comics have exploited our vast mythology to come up with their league of superheroes, known as The Avengers.

As you may be aware, The Avengers consists of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Incredible Hulk, Hawk Eye, Black Widow and Ant Man. What you may not have realized the characterization of each of these superheroes was influenced by our own folklore. 

drink up me hearties yo ho

I assume you to be pretty skeptical at this point. So let us introspect each of them closely (and hopefully wipe that smirk off your face).

Captain America: A veteran soldier who participated in the World War II, and then entered a state of seemingly endless sleep that lasted seven decades. He was recalled by S.H.I.E.L.D when they needed his services for another possibly catastrophic war.

Those who have read The Ramayana would be familiar with the character of Kumbhakarna, the younger brother of demon king Ravana who was awaken from his six month slumber by the Lanka troops to get him ready for the final battle with Lord Ram.

Iron Man: The billionaire philanthropist Tony Stark gets a tad unlucky when he is kidnapped. To escape captivity, he designs a powered suit of armor. When suited up, defeating Iron Man is a herculean task.

If we list out the unlucky characters from The Mahabharata, my bet is on Karna to top the list. He is a master in archery, and is literally indestructible when he wears his armor and earrings gifted by his godfather, The Sun.

Thor and Loki: Marvel themselves have confessed that these two characters have been taken from the Norse mythology. Yet if we are to consider the fact that these two half brothers fight each other, arguing who among them is the true king, one cannot be blamed if he/she is to relate Thor and Loki to Yudhishtira and Dhuryodhana.

Incredible Hulk: Here, the Marvel guys have done a smarter work, as Hulk is a culmination of 2 different avatars from our legends. The brute physical strength of Hulk is an obvious inspiration from Bheema.

But one must not forget that Dr. Banner turns into the all destructive Hulk when he unleashes the rage within. Lord Shiv is also popular for his third eye, which when opened in seething rage lets out an all consuming flame.

Hawk Eye: Hawk is a bird known for its excellent eyesight and ability to locate preys from huge distances. Hawkeye is a master in archery. Needless to say, this "hero" is the Marvel version of Pandava prince Arjuna, who is well known for his skills with the bow and arrow.

Black Widow: I must admit, here the play by Marvel is so subtle that one begins to wonder she is original after all. But on deeper prodding, we can find some similarities with Droupadi. 

Droupadi was also known as Krishna, due to her dark complexion. Krishna means black in Sanskrit. See? Also, Mahabharata suggests that among the Pandavas, Droupadi had a soft corner towards Arjuna. The Avengers too seem to follow this, by showing a special bond between Black Widow and Hawkeye.

Ant Man: The latest addition to the team has the super-power of being able to shrink down to the size of an ant, and grow up to gigantic proportions.

Lord Hanuman is also said to have the exact same powers in both The Ramayana as well as The Mahabharata.

That's it. I rest my case.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chennai Tidbits

‘2/14, Salvation Army Guest House, Doveton St, Chennai’  this address followed by a ten digit phone number was all that I had of Mr. Nageshwar Rao, who was to become my roommate in my new 'home' that Chennai was. Vipin Das is my name, an employee of All India Radio, and I had been transferred from New Delhi to Chennai only a few days ago. So there I was, just outside the Chennai Central, drained and haggard after the grueling train journey that gifted me two sleepless nights. I approached an auto-rickshaw with baggage in my hands, and showed him the address I had. He asked me to get in, and I was traveling through the South Indian metro, a first time in my life. It was only six in the morning, and the city was just waking up. Some young professionals, probably long distance commuters, security guards, newspaper boys on cycle, trucks and light traffic were all I could see on road. I took out that card and dialed Mr. Rao. No response. Maybe he was still sleeping. After all, it

Oh my God!

Dear Jesus, How are you, my friend?  Received the letter you sent me the other day. Well, how are things down there? I hope everything is okay, though I’m quite sure it is not a walk on the cake. Do not worry friend, the case is not much different here. Apparently people have become more demanding of late. It is really tiring to constantly hear their persistent requests, demanding one thing or another. No matter how much they already have, they simply need something more. Of course, the demand ranges from health, wealth, fame, to more materialistic ones like physical looks, good looking partners, cars, and houses, so on and on. It is always good to dream of a better life. But, what they forget often are that dreaming and praying for their goals is not just enough. When would they realize that they need to wake up and work for it, too? Hadn’t I told you about that college kid who did not believe in us? Right before his final exams, I saw him praying for an easy test. It re

Out

  “Hey, I don’t see you around these days!” “Ohh hi! Well, I have been quite busy you know…now with the new job and all” “Even on weekends? You know I got a place quite close to your work right? I handle all these spots so that you can hang out whenever you want.” “Umm yea I guess. Maybe next week?” “Next week is what you promised me three months ago.” “Ugh…I will…try to come! My parents are coming every week anyway right?” “Your parents are good people but I care about you as well. Don’t you get it? Is there something you wanna tell me? I have seen you sharing some pretty controversial stuff about me online.” “Wait a minute. I do not think we follow each other on social media. How do you see my posts?” “Come on, you know I work in mysterious ways!” “I am not sure if I am entirely comfortable with that invasion of my privacy” “For my sake do not fret about it! Here, I have a gift for you. Wear this when you come to my place next week.” “What is this? A headscarf? Why? You know I don’t