Skip to main content

Why Sairat is a huge failure, and why it should never have been remade!

Well, now that I have got you triggered, let us talk. For the uninitiated, ‘Sairat’ is a Marathi movie that released in April 2016. Sairat has everything you would want in an Indian romantic drama - young lead pair in innocent love, soulful songs, opposition from family,  - and also, most importantly, BIG SPOILER COMING UP SO SKIP THIS LINE IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED BUT WOULD LIKE TO WATCH THE MOVIE - the lead pair gets killed in the climax in a cold blooded manner. The act is not shown on screen, but the gore creeps into your bones through the eyes of the little kid of the couple who escaped the brutality.

Killing over caste or religion or class has been recurring in India, despite all the tall claims of modernity and liberalism. The barbarity even got a term - Honor Killing. The name formed since the killings are mostly carried out to ‘protect’ the family's ‘honor’. But I believe that the more apt description is that the families kill their honor by even thinking of committing such a heinous crime. Just the other day a 23 year old man was hacked to death by his wife's family in broad daylight, right in front of his pregnant wife, as they were on their way back after a pre-natal check up. So much for honor.

Representational Image

Why is Sairat a failure?

Made on a modest budget of four crores, Sairat rocked the box office and ended up collecting a whopping 110 crores. The gripping climax sequence leaves the audience in a state of daze, long after the end credits rolled. Alas, the success of an artwork is not only defined by the number of tickets sold. A piece of art need not necessarily have a purpose or a message, however, the kind of picture that the makers of Sairat drew was hard to miss. It was a reflection of how horrific and bloody our pursuit for the “good name” in society can get. An extreme, shocking, yet very real instance of log kya kahenge.

Sairat came out in 2016, and in the same year Huffington Post reported that the number of instances of honor killings reported in India had rose by over 700% in an year. While we danced to the tunes of Zhingat,  we chose to not look at the bigger picture. In a way, it is not the movie but we who failed. If a piece of art fails in bringing a positive influence on the society’s conscience, the art too fails despite what the box office says.

Why Sairat should not have been remade?

I agree it is utopian to hope that a movie would change a nation overnight. It would not. Transformation or evolution is a painfully time consuming process. Art could only indicate the right path, it is the viewers who has to take the first step. And the second. And keep on walking in the right path and make sure they don’t turn back.

That said, I still believe Sairat should not have been remade. At least, not as Dhadak by Dharma Productions. I still have not mustered enough courage to watch what Karan Johar has come up with. From what I hear, Dhadak is everything that Sairat was - except that the makers chose to focus less on the caste issues - and there lies the entire problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chennai Tidbits

‘2/14, Salvation Army Guest House, Doveton St, Chennai’  this address followed by a ten digit phone number was all that I had of Mr. Nageshwar Rao, who was to become my roommate in my new 'home' that Chennai was. Vipin Das is my name, an employee of All India Radio, and I had been transferred from New Delhi to Chennai only a few days ago. So there I was, just outside the Chennai Central, drained and haggard after the grueling train journey that gifted me two sleepless nights. I approached an auto-rickshaw with baggage in my hands, and showed him the address I had. He asked me to get in, and I was traveling through the South Indian metro, a first time in my life. It was only six in the morning, and the city was just waking up. Some young professionals, probably long distance commuters, security guards, newspaper boys on cycle, trucks and light traffic were all I could see on road. I took out that card and dialed Mr. Rao. No response. Maybe he was still sleeping. After all, it

Oh my God!

Dear Jesus, How are you, my friend?  Received the letter you sent me the other day. Well, how are things down there? I hope everything is okay, though I’m quite sure it is not a walk on the cake. Do not worry friend, the case is not much different here. Apparently people have become more demanding of late. It is really tiring to constantly hear their persistent requests, demanding one thing or another. No matter how much they already have, they simply need something more. Of course, the demand ranges from health, wealth, fame, to more materialistic ones like physical looks, good looking partners, cars, and houses, so on and on. It is always good to dream of a better life. But, what they forget often are that dreaming and praying for their goals is not just enough. When would they realize that they need to wake up and work for it, too? Hadn’t I told you about that college kid who did not believe in us? Right before his final exams, I saw him praying for an easy test. It re

Out

  “Hey, I don’t see you around these days!” “Ohh hi! Well, I have been quite busy you know…now with the new job and all” “Even on weekends? You know I got a place quite close to your work right? I handle all these spots so that you can hang out whenever you want.” “Umm yea I guess. Maybe next week?” “Next week is what you promised me three months ago.” “Ugh…I will…try to come! My parents are coming every week anyway right?” “Your parents are good people but I care about you as well. Don’t you get it? Is there something you wanna tell me? I have seen you sharing some pretty controversial stuff about me online.” “Wait a minute. I do not think we follow each other on social media. How do you see my posts?” “Come on, you know I work in mysterious ways!” “I am not sure if I am entirely comfortable with that invasion of my privacy” “For my sake do not fret about it! Here, I have a gift for you. Wear this when you come to my place next week.” “What is this? A headscarf? Why? You know I don’t