Skip to main content

A Thousand Days

Twenty-second of July ended my dance with Thiruvananthapuram, at least temporarily.

How weird is it to begin writing something by describing the end! you might ask. It gives some context, doesn't it? It tells you that something has happened. For, something has to happen before it can end.

It began in 2016, my tryst with the state capital. I still remember my former self, distressed about leaving my college before the course actually ended in order to sign up for my first job.

Beware! they said.
The people at Trivandrum are the worst! they said.
Communities tend to get meaner as we go down south! they said.

They didn't tell me how stupid it is to go with hearsay and shun a people just like that, even without actually interacting with them. Sigh!

A wannabe city that refuses to give up on its traditional roots. If someone asks me to describe the city in one sentence, this could be how I would do it. If they ask me to describe it in a group of sentences with no necessary order, well read on.

I interacted with the folks, and you know what I discovered? I found out that the people there as loving and caring and selfish and cheating and witty and lying and helping as people elsewhere. So much for the stereotype!

What are some of the other flak that Thiruvananthapuram gets? The food there is mercilessly thrashed by many non-natives that the foodie in me was wary about what lay ahead. Again, surprise.
Maybe it's the timing of my arrival, anyhow I had a memorable tryst with the newly evolved food scene. No, I am not talking about the ubiquitous KFC or McD or BBQN, but Thiruvananthapuram offers some flavors, unique to the land.

Disagree with me? Go for the fried squid from Vizhinjam, or the karikkin shake from Buhari, or the Mutton specials from Rajila, and then let's talk. I agree that their biryanis with the longer grains and pineapples and boiled eggs do not really match up to that of the Malbari brethren. But, they have made amends and you can see Zam Zams and Le Arabias and Halais' offering decent biryanis. The native restaurants might still be offering the real Thiruvananthapuram variety, but if the people there like it, so be it. I love boiled eggs in biryanis. And while the whole world is topping pizzas with pineapple, let them top their biryanis at least. Their fish curries also get thrashed for having drumsticks. Come on dude, you know how drumsticks are beneficial. Trivandrum cares for you, man. Also, a discussion on the food scene is incomplete without mentioning the Sadya, in which Thiruvananthapuram excels. A structured, course meal complete with the signature boli and pal payasam.

What comes after food? A place to sit back n chill out? Relax, Thiruvananathapuram has got you covered. 

You a beach person? Stroll by the black sand beaches of Kovalam, climb the lighthouse to have the majestic view and get the cold winds gushing on to your face. Or hit Shangumugam and enjoy the crowdy beach. Or go straight to Perumathura and walk right into the sea. If you feel like going an extra mile, Varkala offers you with its tranquil seas and the picturesque cliff.

You a mountain person? Head straight to Ponmudi, negotiate all the hairpin curves, and embrace the cold wind. Howl your throat out, and find comfort in a glass of piping hot tea. If Ponmudi seems too mainstream, try Breimore or Kallar or Neyyar. Just go.

You into art and culture? The palace/museum/zoo complex is right at the heart of the city. Once evening comes and the heat dies down, head straight to the Kanakakunnu grounds, find a sweet spot and spend whatever time you feel like.

Despite all these amazing stuff out there, if there's anything that I would miss badly, it would be the International Film Festival of Kerala. There are about fifteen movie screens or so around Thampanoor, and almost all of these stop their regular screenings and pave way for IFFK. The ever-expanding crowd, the rushed walks from Tagore to Kairali to New to Kalabhavan, the delegate kit, the air of cinema, without doubt, the second week of December is the most memorable time in Thiruvananthapuram.

The place could be your traditional Thiruvananthapuram with its Padmanabhaswami temple and Attukal Ponkala, while also evolving as the trendy Trivandrum, welcoming the youth with its mall(s) and multiplexes and cafes. Give some more thought into developing the nightlife, and you could do wonders.

Talking about the stuff I would miss, if there's anything I would not mind missing, it's the totally outrageous manner in which the temples there carry out their local festivities. A local festival in a local temple would not be complete without dancing bulbs and speakers and loud crass songs, ensuring that the whole neighborhood loses their sleep and think of the temple alone.

Three years of my life was spent here, accounting to almost a thousand days. Leaving behind a thousand memories. Giving me a thousand reasons to come back. And come back I would, at least temporarily. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annual Filgrimage

Most of the film festivals around us were conceived before a time when the numerous OTT platforms or even the Internet was a thing. Those days, we could only watch the movies that were screened in the cinemas near us. Film festivals were probably the only way to get a taste of cinema from around the world. Now, of course, times have changed so much that a South Korean TV show was the biggest hit of the past year worldwide. We have digital platforms offering carefully curated, critically acclaimed movies. Content has never been more accessible.  In such a time, have film festivals lost their relevance? One look at the huge crowds who turned up for this year’s IFFK would tell you the answer is a big, loud NO. Film festivals are all about movies, and yet not only about watching them. The feeling of a community action that you get when you see co-delegates with their clothe-bags and id tags, the adrenaline rush from the careful scrutiny of the screening schedule to pick the films matching

Out

  “Hey, I don’t see you around these days!” “Ohh hi! Well, I have been quite busy you know…now with the new job and all” “Even on weekends? You know I got a place quite close to your work right? I handle all these spots so that you can hang out whenever you want.” “Umm yea I guess. Maybe next week?” “Next week is what you promised me three months ago.” “Ugh…I will…try to come! My parents are coming every week anyway right?” “Your parents are good people but I care about you as well. Don’t you get it? Is there something you wanna tell me? I have seen you sharing some pretty controversial stuff about me online.” “Wait a minute. I do not think we follow each other on social media. How do you see my posts?” “Come on, you know I work in mysterious ways!” “I am not sure if I am entirely comfortable with that invasion of my privacy” “For my sake do not fret about it! Here, I have a gift for you. Wear this when you come to my place next week.” “What is this? A headscarf? Why? You know I don’t

Movie Review : The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Title : The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari Language : Silent Movie Year : 1920 Director : Robert Wiene Genre : Horror IMDB Link Watch movie on YouTube Lead Role :   Friedrich Feher, Werner Krauss The movie is widely acknowledged as one of the landmark revolutionary offerings from the long gone era when movies did not speak. It may be technically incorrect to call a silent film German, nevertheless it was made in Germany during a time period when the European nation was in turmoils after the devastating World War I. The story begins with a young man by the name of Francis starts narrating the hardships faced by him and his fiancee (Jane) and the very peculiar, even horrifying doings of a strange man, Dr. Caligari. Dr. Caligari owns a stall at a nearby exhibition, and on display is a somnambulist Caeser, who allegedly has slept for 23 straight years! The doctor awakens him, and he answers questions asked by the spectators. To the horror of the locals, his prophecies comes true. Mean