Skip to main content

The 4th Mistake of his Life

if you are yet to say hi to Chetan Bhagat's '3 Mistakes of my Life' then fun is not guaranteed.

A conversation between Chethan Bhagat and Govind Patel....(my adaptation)



CB: Hello

GP: am I am speaking to Chethan Bhagat?

CB: How did you get this number in first place?

GP: A friend of mine works at the Rupa Publishers.

CB: Then whom do you think you are speaking to? Ajmal Kasab! No Sir.

GP:...
CB: Hello? Are you dead?

GP: Not yet Sir, but would be soon...coz I am popping a sleeping pill after each sentence I speak.

CB: Cool. What brand?

GP: Calmpose

CB: Okay. Now would you mind backing your insanity with a bit of logic?

GP: I committed 3 mistakes....and now I feel so terrible that I feel ought not to live..would you listen to my tale?

CB: I am all ears

GP: My name is Govind Patel, and I am a businessman from Ahmedabad.

CB: Okay

GP: Ish, Omi and I were friends right from childhood, Ish was a cricket frantic and Omi a priest's son.

CB: Tell me the 3 mistakes.

GP: The 3 of us wanted to open a sports shop at Ahmedabad...we had invested all our savings to buy a stall.

CB: Then?

GP: The whole complex went down in a fire...we lost all our money.

CB: Hardly a reason to die. Next?

GP: I used to take Math classes for Ish's sister Vidya. In due course we fell for each other and one fine evening I gave her life lessons....

CB: I didn't get the mistake part.

GP: Well I quite forgot the old saying 'Prevention is better than abortion'

CB: You shouldn't have...then what happened?

GP: By God's grace nothing awry occurred...but Ish found out and since then he has not spoken to me.

CB: Nothing happened! Man its pathetic! Seriously I don't think there's any reason why you should continue to live.

GP: Before I tell my third mistake I must tell about Ali. He is such an abundantly gifted kid with the bat. I still remember how he thrashed Ish all over the field!

CB: Ish kaun? Ishant Sharma??

GP: Ish...Vidya's bro...

CB: What does Ali have to do with your mistake?

GP: A few years ago communal riots were a commonplace here...bloods of innocent people were shed in the name of religion...we lost our Omi in the bloody fight...To retaliate, Bittu Mama and gang started finishing off Muslims, literally setting them on fire. We tried to rescue Ali for he was a budding talent, but I reacted a bit late considering my own safety and Ali got a cut on his wrist...I am such a self centered duffer!

CB: Is that all?

GP: Yeah...would you consider this for your next work?

CB: I would definitely look into it...

GP: Thank You Sir. Good bye.

CB: And Govind, RIH.

GP: Isn't it suppossed to be Rest In Peace?

CB: Not exactly. I meant it to be Rot In Hell.

GP: It seems calling you was the 4th mistake of my life.

CB: I knew it right from the beginning...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out

  “Hey, I don’t see you around these days!” “Ohh hi! Well, I have been quite busy you know…now with the new job and all” “Even on weekends? You know I got a place quite close to your work right? I handle all these spots so that you can hang out whenever you want.” “Umm yea I guess. Maybe next week?” “Next week is what you promised me three months ago.” “Ugh…I will…try to come! My parents are coming every week anyway right?” “Your parents are good people but I care about you as well. Don’t you get it? Is there something you wanna tell me? I have seen you sharing some pretty controversial stuff about me online.” “Wait a minute. I do not think we follow each other on social media. How do you see my posts?” “Come on, you know I work in mysterious ways!” “I am not sure if I am entirely comfortable with that invasion of my privacy” “For my sake do not fret about it! Here, I have a gift for you. Wear this when you come to my place next week.” “What is this? A headscarf? Why? You know I don’t

Annual Filgrimage

Most of the film festivals around us were conceived before a time when the numerous OTT platforms or even the Internet was a thing. Those days, we could only watch the movies that were screened in the cinemas near us. Film festivals were probably the only way to get a taste of cinema from around the world. Now, of course, times have changed so much that a South Korean TV show was the biggest hit of the past year worldwide. We have digital platforms offering carefully curated, critically acclaimed movies. Content has never been more accessible.  In such a time, have film festivals lost their relevance? One look at the huge crowds who turned up for this year’s IFFK would tell you the answer is a big, loud NO. Film festivals are all about movies, and yet not only about watching them. The feeling of a community action that you get when you see co-delegates with their clothe-bags and id tags, the adrenaline rush from the careful scrutiny of the screening schedule to pick the films matching

Movie Review : The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Title : The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari Language : Silent Movie Year : 1920 Director : Robert Wiene Genre : Horror IMDB Link Watch movie on YouTube Lead Role :   Friedrich Feher, Werner Krauss The movie is widely acknowledged as one of the landmark revolutionary offerings from the long gone era when movies did not speak. It may be technically incorrect to call a silent film German, nevertheless it was made in Germany during a time period when the European nation was in turmoils after the devastating World War I. The story begins with a young man by the name of Francis starts narrating the hardships faced by him and his fiancee (Jane) and the very peculiar, even horrifying doings of a strange man, Dr. Caligari. Dr. Caligari owns a stall at a nearby exhibition, and on display is a somnambulist Caeser, who allegedly has slept for 23 straight years! The doctor awakens him, and he answers questions asked by the spectators. To the horror of the locals, his prophecies comes true. Mean