Skip to main content

an Exclusive Inclusivity

Inclusivity is a popular term in modern-day discourse. Quite literally, the term inclusive refers to the habit of including everything or all types of people—irrespective of their backgrounds, beliefs, or personal preferences—as long as one’s actions do not cause harm to anyone else. Inclusivity is relevant because it ensures equity, social cohesion, and diversity of thought, which is why most modern-day progressive societies aspire to be as inclusive as possible. So that everyone feels welcome. So that no one feels left out.


If you have watched Modern Family, you might know what I am talking about. The show has taken the example of a family and has beautifully incorporated inclusivity into it. You see a divorcee, an interracial couple, a homosexual couple adopting an orphan child, a person who loves dogs living with a person who doesn’t, and your good old traditional family—all living in harmony. Sure, they have their differences. But nobody belittles anyone for their choice of life.


It is as simple as that. Not rocket science.


However, there is a particular, twisted version of “inclusivity” that is almost exclusive to the northern regions of India. This version of “inclusivity” puts the vegetarian section of the population on a pedestal, effectively considering others as secondary. The infamous gated colonies and landlords who do not welcome meat-eating populations to their neighborhoods are some of the finest examples of this.


Recently, I came across a news article where a school in Noida had “requested” parents not to send non-vegetarian food in their children’s tiffins. The news didn’t surprise me as I have faced similar experiences during my relatively short stay in New Delhi. During the three-week-long training at the campus of Punjab National Bank, the main guy (I forgot his exact designation, which anyway I felt he was unworthy of) told us in no uncertain terms that bringing in non-vegetarian food was prohibited within the campus. Though the legality or even the morality of such a “diktat” seemed irrational to me right away, I did not feel comfortable debating it right then. Most Indian institutions still follow the colonial top-down hierarchical mindset, and any attempt at a healthy debate from our side may be rewarded with a transfer to a far-off place.


Anyway, back to the school. They cited two reasons for this. Let us examine and tear apart their bogus reasons.


1. Health and Safety


Quoting the school, “Non-vegetarian food, when cooked in the morning for lunchtime consumption, can pose serious health risks if not stored and handled properly.” Okay, I will give it to them. The first point does seem relevant, and one almost feels their heart is in the right place, and they are only looking out for the students’ well-being. However, this is not a good enough reason to consider not allowing students to eat what they prefer. If safe handling of food is the concern, the onus must be on ensuring the food is brought in a hygienic manner. One only needs to look at examples from around the world, including high-functioning societies like Japan or Scandinavia, to understand that meat products are an inherent part of school meals pretty much everywhere. If the whole world can get it right without “health hazards,” so can you. Hygiene applies to vegetarian food as well.


2. Inclusivity and Respect


Now, this is where they messed up—if you ask me. If the school had only highlighted health-related concerns, it would have been a tad more difficult for us to see through their facade. But this second reason has truly blown their cover. As I mentioned earlier, inclusivity means including everyone’s choices. Do you want to eat aloo parathas and curd for lunch? Be my guest! But I am going to have a problem with you if you also want to stop someone else from eating their mutton rogan josh and naan. You should be free to eat what you like, and so should everyone else. Tell me again, how does someone eating chicken biryani affect your rajma chawal?


Attempting this and trying to pass it off as “being inclusive” is one of the biggest examples of irony out there. At least have the decency to admit what you are trying to do. Then again, what better can be expected when the government officials themselves were in the news for asking meat sellers to shut shop during the periods of Navaratri simply because a fair section of the society abstained from eating meat during those days? Did the meat shop owners force chicken down their throats? I don’t think so. Why can’t people who want to follow Navaratri do that and those who want to eat chicken do that as well? Why is inclusivity so tough to understand? One wonders if it’s the absence of essential nutrition in the diet that’s making certain people unable to comprehend the nuances of inclusivity.

Sauce






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review : Scion Of Ikshvaku

Author : Amish Tripathi Genre : Mythological Fantasy Published On : 22 June 2015 Watch trailer on Youtube Buy Online! As the makers put it, this first installment of the Ram Chandra series is the most awaited literary blockbuster of the year. The frenzied wait had its effect on me, as I had pre-ordered a copy, days before its release. Obviously, the most weighted factor which prompted me into this craze was The Shiva Trilogy, the previous work of the boring banker turned happy author. Shiva Trilogy achieved its cult status for two major reasons: a) the plot being discussed offered a welcome change from the modern day love stories that had mushroomed up in the post Chetan era. b) The author had meticulously researched through Vedas and other ancient texts, and had reconstructed the very image of Shiva, into a very capable man rather than a miracle performing God. To quote the First City, Amish had succeeded on reintroducing Hindu mythology to the youth of t

Chennai Tidbits

‘2/14, Salvation Army Guest House, Doveton St, Chennai’  this address followed by a ten digit phone number was all that I had of Mr. Nageshwar Rao, who was to become my roommate in my new 'home' that Chennai was. Vipin Das is my name, an employee of All India Radio, and I had been transferred from New Delhi to Chennai only a few days ago. So there I was, just outside the Chennai Central, drained and haggard after the grueling train journey that gifted me two sleepless nights. I approached an auto-rickshaw with baggage in my hands, and showed him the address I had. He asked me to get in, and I was traveling through the South Indian metro, a first time in my life. It was only six in the morning, and the city was just waking up. Some young professionals, probably long distance commuters, security guards, newspaper boys on cycle, trucks and light traffic were all I could see on road. I took out that card and dialed Mr. Rao. No response. Maybe he was still sleeping. After all, it

The Plan

The son went and sat near his father. “It’s been a while, dad. How are things going?” “It really has been a while, hasn’t it? I stopped following time since God knows when.” “That’s quite unbecoming of you, dad. For what I know, you were someone who used to measure time and plan accordingly. Shall I say shrewd?” “I prefer meticulous. And yes, I used to measure time – every ounce of it. Each of my actions were prudently strategic. I wanted the best for myself and my folks.” “Are you telling me even I were a result of your deliberate planning? Interesting.” “You? Of course. Especially you. There was a time when my whole life was centered on you. I have had immense plans for you, even before you were born. Do you think you just happened to be born in the month of May?” “I am quite familiar with the nine months’ infancy phase, dad. I believe that though I came out only in May, I began to exist sometime in August, perhaps.” “That’s a way to look at it, righ