Skip to main content

Character Assassination

“Vani woke to the incessant crying of her newborn. Today was a long and exciting day for her and her hubby, Vimal. The nine months of anticipation had finally culminated in the Labor Room of the Little Flower Hospital. Vimal was on cloud nine ever since she had told him that she was expecting. He had taken it for granted that it would be a boy. That months that followed saw Vimal googling frantically for top baby boy names. A hundred sites showed a thousand names, but he was not content with any of those. Vani came up with Aditya, and Vimal gave the thumps up. They would lovingly call him Adi. Vani decided not to tell him that Aditya was her ex-boyfriend.

Vani got the shock of her life when she realized that fate had other plans for them. She expected Vimal to break down as the nurse announced that the baby was a girl. To her pleasant surprise, he seemed normal with the news. He even joked that now they would have to hunt for a new name. If Vimal was faking his emotions, he was doing it proper.

The excitement of the day was beginning to take its toll on Vani, who was feeling drowsy. The baby girl was peacefully at sleep in her crib near Vani’s hospital bed. Vimal looked exhausted, yet he sat there reading some magazine. All was well until the quiet of the night was disturbed by seemingly terror filled shrieks of the newborn.

Panic registered in her head when she felt the crib vacant. She started looking around, and the sight she saw brought her heart into her mouth. Vimal stood by the window side, holding the baby by its feet. Apparently he was tossing the baby out through the window. She wanted to scream out loud, but the shock had seemingly paralyzed her, strapping her to the cot.”

***

‘Deekshith stopped typing and went through what he had written. The sense of satisfaction that usually fills his mind was missing. He shook his head and had another handful of roasted peanuts. He ate peanuts whenever he wrote. It helped him think better. And he wrote quite often. Deekshith had another shot at the incomplete story, and he identified the problem. The story was simply depressing. He started musing on it. He felt that there was too much negativity in the real world already. The local newspapers daily reported instances of rapes, murders and robberies. He need not add new miseries on top of it. A writer ought to give people hope – the philosophical light at the end of the dark tunnel. Feeling determined, he started typing again.’

***

“Vimal tossed the baby out of the hospital complex, and then Vani woke up from her nightmarish dream, sobbing. Her hands were trembling. Vimal, who had fallen into a slumber, came running towards her.

‘What’s wrong, love? Why are you all shaken?’

Vani checked the crib, and was insanely glad to see the baby fast asleep.

‘I – I had a bad, horrible dream, Vimal.’ Vani was now in tears. ‘I dream that you were disappointed with the baby being a girl, and were tossing her out through the window.’

‘Oh that’s a terrible thing to imagine. Why would I do something so demonic? Sure I was a tad disappointed, but I do love my daughter as much as I would have loved my son.’

‘I know. Forgive me, dear.’

‘It’s okay, honey. You know I have been thinking a lot on what name we should give her, and a few are on my list. What do you think of Janaki?’ Vimal did not tell her that Janaki was the name of that girl from his college, on whom he had a huge crush.

‘Janaki is perfect, Vimal. We shall name her Janaki, and we could call her Janu. It’s perfect.’

‘I knew you would like the name. Now get some sleep.’ He kissed her goodnight, and went outside for a coffee.’”

***

Wait a minute. I have this feeling that most of our stories follow the happily ever after adage. In most of our novels and films, the hero marries the heroine, the loser achieves success and all problems simply make way for a happy life. Alas, the reality speaks a different story. Anyway, our story does not end as it is…

***

‘Deekshith was contended at the way his story had ended. He proofread it to make sure no errors had crept in. He was all set to post the story in his blog when he felt a sharp pain near his chest. A vein near his lungs had suddenly busted. He got up in pain, but his legs gave in. Soon he collapsed onto the ground. After struggling for some minutes, he succumbed to the pain.’


(Thanks Shrestha)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chennai Tidbits

‘2/14, Salvation Army Guest House, Doveton St, Chennai’  this address followed by a ten digit phone number was all that I had of Mr. Nageshwar Rao, who was to become my roommate in my new 'home' that Chennai was. Vipin Das is my name, an employee of All India Radio, and I had been transferred from New Delhi to Chennai only a few days ago. So there I was, just outside the Chennai Central, drained and haggard after the grueling train journey that gifted me two sleepless nights. I approached an auto-rickshaw with baggage in my hands, and showed him the address I had. He asked me to get in, and I was traveling through the South Indian metro, a first time in my life. It was only six in the morning, and the city was just waking up. Some young professionals, probably long distance commuters, security guards, newspaper boys on cycle, trucks and light traffic were all I could see on road. I took out that card and dialed Mr. Rao. No response. Maybe he was still sleeping. After all, it

Oh my God!

Dear Jesus, How are you, my friend?  Received the letter you sent me the other day. Well, how are things down there? I hope everything is okay, though I’m quite sure it is not a walk on the cake. Do not worry friend, the case is not much different here. Apparently people have become more demanding of late. It is really tiring to constantly hear their persistent requests, demanding one thing or another. No matter how much they already have, they simply need something more. Of course, the demand ranges from health, wealth, fame, to more materialistic ones like physical looks, good looking partners, cars, and houses, so on and on. It is always good to dream of a better life. But, what they forget often are that dreaming and praying for their goals is not just enough. When would they realize that they need to wake up and work for it, too? Hadn’t I told you about that college kid who did not believe in us? Right before his final exams, I saw him praying for an easy test. It re

Out

  “Hey, I don’t see you around these days!” “Ohh hi! Well, I have been quite busy you know…now with the new job and all” “Even on weekends? You know I got a place quite close to your work right? I handle all these spots so that you can hang out whenever you want.” “Umm yea I guess. Maybe next week?” “Next week is what you promised me three months ago.” “Ugh…I will…try to come! My parents are coming every week anyway right?” “Your parents are good people but I care about you as well. Don’t you get it? Is there something you wanna tell me? I have seen you sharing some pretty controversial stuff about me online.” “Wait a minute. I do not think we follow each other on social media. How do you see my posts?” “Come on, you know I work in mysterious ways!” “I am not sure if I am entirely comfortable with that invasion of my privacy” “For my sake do not fret about it! Here, I have a gift for you. Wear this when you come to my place next week.” “What is this? A headscarf? Why? You know I don’t