Skip to main content

First Rejection

About four years ago, I self-published my first novel, I Want Your Life. Self-publishing was not my initial plan. Like most aspiring writers, I envisioned my book being published under the label of one of the prominent publishing houses in the country, such as Penguin or HarperCollins.

However, my editor gave me a reality check and explained that large publishing houses receive several submissions daily, making it highly unlikely for a first-time writer to get noticed.

More than the prestige of being published under an established banner, my excitement lay in seeing my story in the form of a book. So, I chose the self-publishing route. After months of back-and-forth with my publishing team - proofreading, editing, revisions, illustrations, book registration, and printing - my book was finally out. It was truly a dream come true.

The upside of self-publishing is the sweet certainty of getting published. The downside, however, is that you are responsible for everything, including promotion, marketing, and sales.

Today, we live in a world where almost every unique skill, interest, hobby, or product has a chance to gain popularity if we regularly promote it on social media. I created a series of posts about my book, sharing snippets and behind-the-scenes stories. These posts did help generate curiosity within my circles, but my limited social media presence restricted my book’s reach.

I was unable to penetrate beyond my immediate circles, and as a result, the audience for my book remained relatively small. From the modest pool of readers who did read my work, I received mostly positive and genuine feedback. Some readers also offered helpful insights into areas where I could improve.

As time passed and the buzz around I Want Your Life subsided, people began asking if I was working on something new. I told them I was. Not immediately after the first book, but eventually, an idea came to me that sparked my interest. I kept toying with the concept, exploring its possibilities, and gradually, characters and their arcs began taking shape.

Balancing professional and personal commitments, I wrote slowly over the years, with considerable pauses caused by writer’s block and, admittedly, my own laziness.

Four years later, I have completed the first draft of my latest work:

Death of the Death

Having gone the self-publishing route last time, I now wish to try the traditional path. While I don’t yet have a standout portfolio, I am no longer a complete newcomer.

With conviction in my story and mental preparation for rejection, I have submitted my manuscript to some of the top publishing houses, following their submission guidelines.

A couple of days ago, I received my first rejection letter. Rejections always sting, but it still felt better than getting ghosted. A rejection meant my submission had not been consigned to the digital trash bin without being seen. What if a different team at another publishing house decides to give my work a chance?

Art often offers hope to those who practice it, and the artist in me will use that hope to keep pushing forward.


Comments

  1. Get Rejected was the first thing that my mentor told me to do, he meant that I will have the courage to submit and be regular at it… 35000 pictures after one of the jury members told me this seems like a good project and we can see the possibility of an exhibition!!!
    Get Rejected has been the best advice for me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cut-Da Punjab

If you are a movie buff, you would have heard of the censorship issues regarding the upcoming Bollywood feature, Udta Punjab. If you are a politically conscious person, you would have heard of the censorship issues regarding the upcoming Bollywood feature, Udta Punjab. If you are a rationally thinking person, you would have heard of the censorship issues regarding the upcoming Bollywood feature, Udta Punjab. In short, if you are someone who breathes and lives on the planet Earth, you would have a heard of the censorship issues regarding the upcoming Bollywood feature, Udta Punjab. For such is the magnitude of double standards and apolitical agenda adopted by the CBFC. First, let us be politically correct: 1.        CBFC is not Censor Board. It stands for Central Board of Film Certification. 2.        The Board has not banned Udta Punjab.          Wait, if the movie is not banne...

Chennai Tidbits

‘2/14, Salvation Army Guest House, Doveton St, Chennai’  this address followed by a ten digit phone number was all that I had of Mr. Nageshwar Rao, who was to become my roommate in my new 'home' that Chennai was. Vipin Das is my name, an employee of All India Radio, and I had been transferred from New Delhi to Chennai only a few days ago. So there I was, just outside the Chennai Central, drained and haggard after the grueling train journey that gifted me two sleepless nights. I approached an auto-rickshaw with baggage in my hands, and showed him the address I had. He asked me to get in, and I was traveling through the South Indian metro, a first time in my life. It was only six in the morning, and the city was just waking up. Some young professionals, probably long distance commuters, security guards, newspaper boys on cycle, trucks and light traffic were all I could see on road. I took out that card and dialed Mr. Rao. No response. Maybe he was still sleeping. After all, it...

ശബ്ദം നാമജപത്തിന് മാത്രം : ഭാഗം 1

അമ്മാ! ഒരു കഥ പറഞ്ഞു തരോ? കഥയോ? എന്താ മോനൂന് ഉറക്കം വരണില്യേ? കേട്ടാൽ ഉറക്കം വരണ കഥയല്ല അമ്മ. നല്ല കഥ വേണം. എന്നാ ഞാൻ ഒരു കഥ സൊല്ലട്ടുമാ? എന്ത് കഥയാ അച്ഛാ? വിക്രത്തിന്റെയും വേദയുടെയും കഥ. ആ നന്നാവും. കണ്ട തമിഴ് പടത്തിലെ ഗുണ്ടാ കഥയല്ലേ മക്കൾക്ക് പറഞ്ഞു കൊടുക്കാൻ പറ്റീത്. കഥയൊക്കെ ഞാൻ പറഞ്ഞു കൊടുക്കാം. മോന് ഞാൻ പുരാണ കഥ പറഞ്ഞു തരാം. അമ്മൂമ്മ പറയണ പോലത്തെ കഥയാണോ? ശ്രീകൃഷ്ണന്റെ? ആ അതുപോലത്തെ. ഇന്ന് ശ്രീരാമന്റെ കഥ പറയാം. ആരാ അമ്മെ ശ്രീരാമൻ? വിഷ്ണു ഭഗവാന്റെ അവതാരം ആണ് മോനെ. അമ്മൂമ്മ പറഞ്ഞത് കൃഷ്ണൻ ആണ് വിഷ്ണുവിന്റെ അവതാരം ന്നാണല്ലോ. വിഷ്ണു ഭഗവാന് കുറെ അവതാരങ്ങൾ ഉണ്ട് മോനെ. ലോകത്ത് അനീതി കൂടുമ്പോൾ നീതി പുനഃസ്ഥാപിക്കാൻ ഭഗവാൻ അവതരിക്കും. ആഹാ. ജീസസ് വിഷ്ണുവിന്റെ അവതാരം ആണോ അമ്മെ? ഏഹ്! അല്ലടാ. യേശു വേറേ ഒരു ദൈവമാ. വേറെ ദൈവോ? അപ്പൊ എത്ര ദൈവങ്ങളുണ്ട്? കുറെ ഉണ്ട്. അതെന്തിനാ കുറെ ദൈവങ്ങൾ? നിനക്ക് കഥ കേൾക്കണോ? ഉം. എന്നാ മിണ്ടാണ്ടിരുന്ന് കേൾക്ക്. കഥയിൽ ചോദ്യമില്ല. അങ്ങനെ അവൻ മിണ്ടാതെ ഇരുന്ന് കഥ മുഴുവൻ കേട്ടു. അയോദ്ധ്യ ...