Skip to main content

Cancel Theppu

 This is what happened. A youngster shot a girl dead in Kerala, and then killed himself. The police are investigating the case, and prominent theories suggest that the two were in a relationship, she ended the relationship for reasons unknown and he committed the crime as an act of revenge.


Most people reacted to the news with utter disbelief, and anger. But let us talk about the people in the screen-shot and their disgusting comments.


I will give a sense of the comments for those who don't know Malayalam. The first comment is a textbook example of victim blaming. The person says that the girl might have dumped him which was why he got enraged. “Equal blame on both”, the comment say. The second comment goes on to empathize with the killer, highlighting the pain he must have gone through to take such a drastic step.


And there are many other comments conveying similar sentiments.


In a society where the term dating is largely unheard of, many people believe ending a relationship is something to be looked down upon. (Starting one too, but then hypocrisy is worn as a badge of honor). And they have coined a distasteful word “theppu” to attach shame to people who do.


People may fall out of relationships for several reasons, and separation would hurt badly. None of it warrants inflicting harm on your ex. Cry all you want to, remove your profile picture for a couple of days, and move on! It is a dangerous precedent in a society when people come out justifying a violent crime such as this. And a significant blame goes to filmmakers who celebrated “theppu” as a comedy trope, and stalking as romance.


Another angle that we constantly overlook is the importance of mental health. Crying and laying low may not heal everyone from tragic situations. Some may lose a grip on their reality (as some friends of the accused in this case suggests) and arrive at decisions they would not have if they had received proper treatment. For your own sake, please don’t “man up” and bottle things inside. When it bursts, you would be the first to get cut.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cut-Da Punjab

If you are a movie buff, you would have heard of the censorship issues regarding the upcoming Bollywood feature, Udta Punjab. If you are a politically conscious person, you would have heard of the censorship issues regarding the upcoming Bollywood feature, Udta Punjab. If you are a rationally thinking person, you would have heard of the censorship issues regarding the upcoming Bollywood feature, Udta Punjab. In short, if you are someone who breathes and lives on the planet Earth, you would have a heard of the censorship issues regarding the upcoming Bollywood feature, Udta Punjab. For such is the magnitude of double standards and apolitical agenda adopted by the CBFC. First, let us be politically correct: 1.        CBFC is not Censor Board. It stands for Central Board of Film Certification. 2.        The Board has not banned Udta Punjab.          Wait, if the movie is not banne...

Chennai Tidbits

‘2/14, Salvation Army Guest House, Doveton St, Chennai’  this address followed by a ten digit phone number was all that I had of Mr. Nageshwar Rao, who was to become my roommate in my new 'home' that Chennai was. Vipin Das is my name, an employee of All India Radio, and I had been transferred from New Delhi to Chennai only a few days ago. So there I was, just outside the Chennai Central, drained and haggard after the grueling train journey that gifted me two sleepless nights. I approached an auto-rickshaw with baggage in my hands, and showed him the address I had. He asked me to get in, and I was traveling through the South Indian metro, a first time in my life. It was only six in the morning, and the city was just waking up. Some young professionals, probably long distance commuters, security guards, newspaper boys on cycle, trucks and light traffic were all I could see on road. I took out that card and dialed Mr. Rao. No response. Maybe he was still sleeping. After all, it...

Mix Tape

This is a personal write up. Since people are generally interested in other people's affairs, I thought why not blog it as well. So the music day happened last Wednesday. For someone who is into songs whenever conscious, every day is a music day. Still, June 21 made me think of the songs that are very special to me. I just wanted to think across years, picking up songs and the memories associated to it, and put it all together in one place. Like a mix tape of sorts. I am not sure if the concept of mix tape is relevant anymore. It once was, when all you had was ordinary tapes. Now with everyone's shuffle playlists boasting of more diversity than any mix tape could possibly have, mix tapes have lost their charm. 1. Vaseegara - Minnale  Tamil movie Minnale came out in early 2000s, back when I was a school going boy. The innocent type. The shy-to-talk-to-girls type. I hear this song, and it's like I am transformed into a magical world. No other piece of musi...